Very old, the vineyard of Côtes de La Charité is located in the department of Nièvre. It covers almost 45 hectares. 6 communities covering the majority of production – Chasnay, Chaulgnes, La Celle-sur-Nièvre, La Charité-sur-Loire, Nannay and Parigny-les-Vaux.
Most of the white wines are made from Chardonnay, with a growing proportion of Pinot gris. The red wines are mainly single varietal Pinot noir. The rosés are made from Pinot noir.
From the Middle Ages the vineyard developed under the impulsion of the great Benedictine monasteries of La Charité-sur-Loire and Bourras. Production is exported to northern France and Europe. These wines are found on the tables of the Duke of Burgundy in Paris and Arras. This fame and prosperity are maintained until the nineteenth century when the vineyard reaches a surface of 1300 ha. But the phylloxeric crisis causes its decline.
In 1980 is created a wine syndicate to revive the vineyard and in 1986 he obtains the name of Vin de Pays des Coteaux Charitois.
In 2011, thanks to the reform of the wine sector, the vineyard changed its name to Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) Côtes de La Charité. He is currently in the accession phase of the AOC.
Large fault lines running north to south and the action of erosion have shaped a distinct topography. The sedimentary sub-soil dating back to the Middle Jurassic is foliated with strata of limestone and marl, conducive to the formation of highly complex calcareous clay soil.
The white wines are characterized by great finesse, a floral nose, and dried fruit and buttery notes. The reds stand out for their aromas of berries and forest floor. The rosés, or “gris”, have a direct attack combining freshness with a long finish.
Avez vous l'âge légal ? Pour visiter notre site, vous devez avoir l'age légal pour consommer de l'alcool dans votre pays de résidence selon la législation en vigueur..